[Arm-netbook] CT-PC89E / Chitech GPL Violation update: they're "in the middle"

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 29 22:10:42 BST 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 08:31:29PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>  well... yes and no: if they continue to sell the machines with MOS,
> they're _still_ gpl violators.

Understood.

> > Best we get stock Debian on it then :)
>
>  yyyyep :)

Adam is trying to contact Seatron / Si-Chang as I understand it from the
list. They _will_ have software engineers or at the very least data
sheets. If they can tell us where a stock U-boot might go, we could do
this - in a fairly similar way to getting an updated u-boot onto the
Sheevaplug, as detailed by Martin Michlmayr at www.cyrius.com

If there's a way of getting JTAG and / or a serial console on the
SODIMMS we have, so much the easier.

> >> i've also explained, but it does need to be emphasised and made clear
> >> to chitech that by distributing binaries they are _still_ in violation
> >> of the GPL (thank you to richard for pointing that out), even if the
> >> company that supplied _them_ with binaries is also in violation.
> >>

> > If we can give them Debian, then they can move from there. If they stop
> > distributing mid-fun, they stop being in trouble?
>
>  yes.  but we don't have u-boot for them to replace it with, yet, nor
> a complete working kernel.  WIFI GPIO powerup sequence needs to be
> checked.

How far off is a Debian stock 2.6.26 armel from what we'd need? Frans?