[Arm-netbook] welcome to mr blogarm.net

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 29 00:23:12 BST 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 10:47 PM, Forum Blogarm.net <forum at blogarm.net> wrote:
> Thank you.
> I think seeing this "tiny band of merry men" trying to build a really
> good alternative to the Wintel domination encourage the blogarm.net
> community.
> You are doing a very good job with this chipset.
> We usualy saw the S3C6410 on SmartQ5 and it wasn't very impressive.
> But when I saw the video of the CT-PC89e, i just thought Wow ! You can
> do that with
> a S3C6410 !
> So I'm really interested by the CT-PC89e and i would like to know a
> little more
> about the progress of your project.
> Did you succeed to get a more powerful samsung chipset ?
> And did you fix all sleep issues about the actual version of the S3C6410 ?
> What is the battery life ?
>
> We are very interested to make a grouped order.

 ok - weeelll, now it gets interesting.

 first things first: the kernel we have had to reverse-engineer,
because chitech turn out to be GPL violators.  at some point we'll get
the mer-smartq kernel updates with the accelerated xf86 s3c64xx xorg
driver, but that will be a while yet.

 _but_ chitech are no longer talking to us because they are now under
investigation by the FSF over the GPL violations _but_ that's okay
because we've found that designers, Si-Chang (also known as Seatron)
_also_ can provide the exact same hardware, and adam is going to talk
to them later this week.

 so, we will now be doing two things:

 1) transferring attention to seatron, to negotiate with them, see if
they would like to do an S5PC100/110 or S5PV210 upgraded SO-DIMM, work
with them to fix the hardware errors we found in the design (DM9000
has wrong capacitors, and the S3C6410 watchdog timer is NOT being
used!)

 2) begin a project like the openpandora, to ask people "what do you
want?" and then get it made / buy the components and assemble it.

 perhaps 1 merges with 2, who knows.

 so, actually, if you are willing to get together for a group order
then that is perfect - it is exactly what i was hoping that there
would be people out there willing to do that: now of course, the
important question is: what _do_ you want, and for how much? :)

 i was hoping to set up a web site with a calculator on it to inform
people, but things are moving quickly already, waah!