[Arm-netbook] Success with booting CT-PC89E from SD card!!!

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 28 14:49:29 BST 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Adam Gill <madallig at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been able to boot with my SD card after Luke gave me a specific dd
> command specific for my SD card - all SD cards seem to be different ... Luke
> has the calculation ...
>
> I could not believe my eyes when I saw the logo appear .... I had already
> destoyed some of the track where the soldering points were meant to be ...
> and I was sodering straight onto the resistors! ... using a watchmakers eye
> glass to see what i was doing ...
>
> So right now I have  a Logo but nothing else ....... I need clear, VERY
> SIMPLE to follow step by step instructions how to reinstall the OS ... I
> mean a real OS!!
>
> So this proves beyond doubt that the SD can boot the CT-PC89E? .... unless I
> still had some remnants of u-boot code on my nand flash which was still
> being referred to .....

 ok i've spoken to adam, and by a combination of creating a small
partition using mkfs.msdos and leaving the high-part of the SD card
well alone, we've managed to recover his machine.

 which is great news.

 he's now back where things were a month ago, but we now have the
knowledge necessary to boot direct from SD card, rather than NAND.