[Arm-netbook] Booting from SD card with switch on so-dimm in other direction ...

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 24 12:19:30 GMT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Adam Gill <madallig at gmail.com> wrote:
> I looked again at the switch area today - I don't think the on/off of the
> switch is between the R46 but only to the right of it .... the blob of
> solder on my so-dim is where the switch makes its connection.... seems very
> logical to me - switch need only 2 position for on/off!
>
> the left of the R46 is a soldering position for the switch fixing - i think
> ... cos on Jon's machine that position has a switch locating leg bent at 90
> degress ...

 ahh... look closely at that marked-up photo i sent you, switch.png.
there are two arrows pointing to the locations which i believe need to
be connected together.

 below, there is the box marked SW100, with 4 solder tabs, two to the
left of the box, two to the right.  this is for holding the switch.
we're _not_ talking about those.

 we're talking about the three pads in a horizontal line.  one
_immediately_ to the left of the words "R46" (upside-down), one
_immediately_ to the right.  within 1 or 2 mm of the words "R46".  and
then the one that's to the right of that (which was solder-blobbed
with the one to the right).

 these are what the switch on my SO-DIMM are connected to.

> Does the netbook boot normally when the switch is in the opposite direction?

 no - on my machine, when the switch is in "non-factory-default", i
found that it would not boot (but i had no sd card inserted).

 an important test that jon needs do is to have the switch in
"non-factory-default" setting and boot *without* the SD card inserted,
do not touch any button other than power switch.