[Arm-netbook] Booting from SD card with switch on so-dimm in other direction ...

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 24 11:24:00 GMT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Adam Gill <madallig at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. I have solderered 3 wires onto the area where the switch is meant to be.
> 2. Have tried open / close circuit on the 3 wires in different config. using

 NOO don't do "combinations" - only connect middle-to-left or
middle-to-right don't for god's sake connect all three or connect
left-to-right.  so, only connect... red-to-black or red-to-blue.

> Luke's suggestion for SD card formatting and the data on SD card.

 you really need a total identical copy of jon's NAND, directly copied
to an SD card.  there is no formatting required.  you require an
absolute total one-to-one complete one hundred percent identical copy
of the NAND, direct and nothing but direct copy, onto a 2gb SD card.
by making a complete and total copy, you are EVEN copying the
formatting information from the NAND flash.  therefore, no
"formatting" is required of the SD card.

 the procedure i described yesterday _may_ not be getting the
locations of u-boot and kernel etc. correct, thus we need to use jon's
SD card.

> 3. I know the LCD is working ... cos if I repeadedly press the power button
> ... i get these funny cloudy image  appearing and some square blocks of
> colours which keep changing in colour and shape ....

 hmm... ok, that says one of two things:

 a) you've fscked the machine with connecting red-to-blue

 b) the SD card procedure i described yesterday is slightly flawed,
the code _is_ getting onto the machine but in the wrong place,
therefore some utterly random instructions are being executed and
blat, random screen crap appears.

 i'll try to nail down the process for creating the SD card, test it
out myself, here.