[Arm-netbook] CT-PC89E update (message to factory)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 10 18:12:14 GMT 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net> wrote:
> Hello Luke and *,
> Does this mean you would consider to RE-DESIGN the WHOLE Base-Board  and
> design (or buy) a new SO-Dimm for it?

 i'm happy for absolutely any and all options.

> I should note, that the current OMAP 3530 with 720MHz ist the fastest TI
> Microcontroller

 yes but it's $50 in 1k volumes (!).  that may go down soon, with competition.

> and they are working on a faster one...  :-)

 goood.

> For the Marvel Kirkwood I have to wait because before I start I need muc
> more infos from TI and Marvel.
>
> The smallest EVKit for the OMAP 3530 would be arround 350 Euro  and  for
> the Marvell Kirkwood (SO-Dimm) arround 450 Euro.
>
> Also "Silica" (they are in  Strasbourg  too)  offered  me  access  to  a
> Freescale i.MX51 but now I have to wait for all infos.  ;-)

 i don't expect freescale processors to be any good.  they're
desperate to make money, and they make design mistakes as a result.
also, they have a policy of chasing after large orders and ignoring
the small to medium opportunities.

> I would develop a SO-Dimm where OMAP and Kirkwood will have te same Pin-
> Layout and users can then choose the desired performance from inexpnsive
> "it works for me" to "killer ferrari".
>
> This project will be much more fun, but of course, can not more  handled
> by my self alone...

 understood, michelle.

 i'm looking around for machines at $120, to fulfil an order for
20,000 units.  don't care what it is, as long as it has a 9in or 10in
screen, and can take WIFI and 3G modem _internally_.  and the target
price is $120.  the processor is irrelevant, as long as it can cope
with remote desktop.  the CT-PC89E fulfils the requirements,
perfectly, even beating the price by $118 and coming in at $102
(excluding 3G modem).

 at that kind of order level, there's plenty of room to get a bit of
money to do better designs.