[Arm-netbook] alternative SO-DIMMS

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Tue Mar 9 14:12:06 GMT 2010

Hello,

Am 2010-03-09 13:30:14, schrieb Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton:
>  chitech's (actually Seatron's) 30mm x 70mm SO-DIMM has 2 memory chips
> on one side (total of 256mb), and there are 2 unpopulated on the
> *other* side of the SO-DIMM (which you can't see from the photo of the
> CT-PC89E).

OK

>  so it caaan be done, but i realise that it makes the design slightly complex.

I was thinking they avoid using the backside du to the height.
There are SO-Dimm slots which allow only singel sided PCB.

> > So, iIt seems I can get some EVKits for free including a SO-Dimm of  the
> > Marvel Kirkwood 88F6281 (would cost arround 99 Euro @Kago).
>
>  _very_ cool!

It is  on  <http://www.karo-electronics.de/tk71.html>  and  there  is  a
smaller module from another manufacturer.

I like to know the price @50.000 for the Kirkwood   :-D

> but, yeah: if they already _have_ an SO-DIMM with the kirkwood 88F6281
> then that's better than actually having to do a complete design from
> scratch.

I think, once I have designed a smaler SO-Dimm  as  the  TK91,  in  mass
production it is nearly the same price as the Samsung

So, because I develop some Computers based on the Marvel  Chips,  it  is
less expensive for me to use only Marvel.  However, the  800Mhz  version
of the Kirkwood should be less expensive as the 1200MHz version.

So, if the SO-Dimm 1200MHz EVKit version cost 99 Euro, the striped  down
SO-Dimm with 800MHz and 512 MByte of memory woul be the same price.

The advantage for me is I have only to develop one SO-Dimm and  can  use
different versions (speed).

Developing stuff with Samsung cost me extra money

>  ... time to market etc. etc.

Wednesday and Thursday I will kow more about TI and Marvel.  If  Marvel
offer me a genial price for mass-production, I will start  as  fast  as
possibel.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strabourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193