[Arm-netbook] First stab at a custom kernel

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 5 15:46:36 GMT 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Frans Pop <elendil at planet.nl> wrote:
> On Thursday 04 March 2010, JLB wrote:
>> So, has anyone actually taken the plunge yet and dared to try to install
>> a new kernel? If none of you guys are willing to take that risk, I am.
>
> I've tried it as well. The result was that the system seemed to be solidly
> stuck on the first boot splash screen [1].

> [1] Probably mostly due to lack of support of the LCD in the kernel.

 he he - slightly ahead of you, there :)  you'll see the message soon.
 the kernel source with the "right" s3c lcd driver is the 2.6.24.7
stuff on which the smartq5 MID is based.  but, even there, the
initialisation sequences for the 6 LCD panels i see in the code are
utterly device-specific (some involving what looks like I2C / SPI
register sequences).

 perhaps by finding another device which has the same B089AW01... oh loook!
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2010/01/msg00148.html
 ha ha this was exactly the high-quality industrial-grade item we
talked about with michelle :)

 irony.

 anyway, yes: perhaps by finding another device which has the same LCD
(preferably another ARM device, even better a samsung S3C one) it
would be possible to crib the initialisation sequence.  _but_, there
is still likely to be some guess-work involved.