[Arm-netbook] First stab at a custom kernel

Frans Pop elendil at planet.nl
Fri Mar 5 15:00:57 GMT 2010

On Thursday 04 March 2010, JLB wrote:
> So, has anyone actually taken the plunge yet and dared to try to install
> a new kernel? If none of you guys are willing to take that risk, I am.

I've tried it as well. The result was that the system seemed to be solidly
stuck on the first boot splash screen [1]. The power button did not work,
and the reset button on the bottom did not seem to either.

In the end I took the machine apart and removed the battery. Trying to
rescue it with a firmware reset after that did not work: it would just
show the same boot splash screen again.

Eventually I found that the reset button is rather difficult to use
correctly. You have to feel/hear an actual "click". After properly
pressing the reset button the firmware reset worked correctly, so my
netbook is alive again.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] Probably mostly due to lack of support of the LCD in the kernel.