[Arm-netbook] Repartitioning the internal flash

JLB j at twu.net
Thu Mar 4 15:34:10 GMT 2010

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM, JLB <j at twu.net> wrote:
>
>> Those are some highly unusual symptoms, and I would be very curious to
>> know what caused them (once you figure it out, which I'm sure you will).
>
>  yyep.
>
> wtf?? a firmware reflash reset the partition table back to 450mb
> partition2, 1400mb partition 3.

Fascinating.

Okay, this brings up a very important question that's been in the back of
my mind: Exactly what/where IS the 'firmware' in these machines? I kind of
was under the impression that the contents of /dev/mmcblk0p1 itself
constituted the 'firmware'-- i.e. that the bootloader, kernel, etc. lived
there. Am I wrong in this naive notion? Is there some separate
chunk-o-memory, ASIDE from the 2GB flash (mmcblk0), which contains the
'firmware' (bootloader, splash screens, plus whatever else)?