[Arm-netbook] First stab at a custom kernel

Frans Pop elendil at planet.nl
Wed Mar 3 13:35:56 GMT 2010

* WARNING * WARNING * WARNING *
       TOTALLY UNTESTED
* WARNING * WARNING * WARNING *

I've uploaded a custom 2.6.33 kernel that I think should support the
netbook. It is based on the arch/arm/configs/s3c2410_defconfig, with some
modifications.

The size of the resulting zImage is 1981840, which is just slightly (~30kB)
larger than the one provided by ChiTech/midfun.

It should support sound and both wired and wireless networking. It should
hopefully also give a proper framebuffer console (with Tux boot logo). I'm
not sure about the touchpad.

NOTE: I'm not sure if either of the network drivers will require firmware.

As filesystems ext4 and jffs2 (and msdos/vfat) are compiled in. I've opted
for only ext4 because current ext4 has built-in backwards compatibility
support for ext2 and ext3.

I've left a lot of default stuff in, but all modular of course: IPv6
support, netfilter, all kinds of weird USB devices, all NLS modules. I'd
probably disable quite a lot of that if I was building a kernel just for
myself.

There are a few things that probably could be cleaned up, mainly that the
defconfig had IDE support enabled; I've left it for now, but it's probably
useless.

I'm thinking hard of trying this new kernel (after installing the modules
in the root fs) in combination with the provided u-boot...

Files are available from http://people.debian.org/~fjp/tmp/CT-PC89E/ for
anyone who wants to have a look.
I'd appreciate if people could look over the config.

Cheers,
FJP

* WARNING * WARNING * WARNING *
       TOTALLY UNTESTED