[Arm-netbook] My first impressions

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 2 23:00:42 GMT 2010

>> * I played an AVI (a 2005 episode of Doctor Who) on it; fairly good, but
>> not great; there were some freezes, probably due to buffer underruns
> I, too, was slightly disappointed with video playback support. The
> samsung chip is supposed to have hardware accelerated video playback.
> The device struggled to play a clip encoded for my SE Satio phone (which
> plays it flawlessly). Maybe not supported in the 'oem' OS?

 there's a kernel patch and xf86-video-s3c64xx 2D driver now
available, which apparently gives between a 20x and 500x performance
increase on graphics operations, over fbdev.  it _does_ have xv
support, meaning that MPEG etc. can all be shoved straight at it.

 right now i get the distinct feeling that the guys who wrote the
mid-fun video player are doing direct hardware video writes... whoops
:)