[Arm-netbook] Compiling kernel modules (especially ext3!)

JLB j at twu.net
Tue Mar 2 05:48:47 GMT 2010

Hello all,

 	I have been attempting (without success) to compile ext3 support
as a kernel module. I followed this procedure:

1) chroot to a Debian setup stashed in a directory somewhere.
2) Download the 2.6.24-2 source from kernel.org.
3) 'make menuconfig', select ext3 as a Module, etc.
4) Exit, saving config
5) 'make modules'

The modules DO build successfully... but when I try to insmod the ext3
module (ext3.ko or whatnot), it says 'Invalid module format'.

Interestingly, when I run 'file' on the modules which DO work, it
identifies these modules (i.e. those from /lib/modules/2.6.24.2 on the
Debian tree) as:

ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, ARM, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

However, my NON-working modules are identified as:

ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, ARM, version 1, not stripped

Note the lack of '(SYSV)'.

What can I do to make some WORKING modules for the binary-only kernel
provided with our CT-PC89Es? Or is there a way to do this at all?

--Jessica