[Arm-netbook] compiling xserver-kdrive (or maybe xserver-xfbdev) on CT-PC89E

sbocahu at bearstech.com sbocahu at bearstech.com
Sat Feb 27 21:15:38 GMT 2010

> to get round the problem of not enough space, i'm building it over nfs
> (!!) which seems to work fine: the only thing that's very important is
> that the host _must_ use nfs-kernel-server because nfs-user-server
> cannot set mtime timestamps: that screws up the "touch" command, which
> in turn screws up configure scripts.
>
> other than that, i appear to be keeping this machine thoroughly busy,
> loadaverage 3.5, no swap, still seems to be happy.

It could be worth crosscompiling, especially if we need more than one
package

Many toolchains are available, I suggest using Emdebian one.

I've worked a bit on hackable:1 distribution for the openmoko.
We created a rootfs-buildsystem using binary official debian packages and
our custom crosscompiled packages.
Those are compiled in a chroot where everything needed to crosscompile is
already installed.

IMHO, these chroots are not famous for being bug-less or particularly good,
but it require less time to setup all the tools. You can catch a prebuilt
chroot tarball there: http://download.hackable1.org/cross/ and there is a
bit of documentation there: http://trac.hackable1.org/trac/wiki/ (following
the hackable:1 way of storing patches and use of helpers is not mandatory.
just patch the Makefiles and so on to get it crsscompile :))