[Arm-netbook] root hacked

Jon Ervine jon.ervine at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 00:46:51 GMT 2010

On 19 February 2010 04:21, JLB <j at twu.net> wrote:

> Sweet! What was the backdoor? Adding midfun to sudoers?

There is no sudo/sudoers on this netbook. This works very sweetly. What I
did was copy the existing passwd file, and modified the root password entry
to 'something I knew' in this copy. The original /sbin/udevd I backed up and
then created a new /sbin/udevd which was a shell script to copy my edited
passwd file to /etc and also call my backed up original /sbin/udevd with the
'-d' argument.

Worked like a champ. I'm sure there are other, more elegant ways of getting
a backdoor too ....

Many kudos to Oliver for spotting that! Now the fun can really start with
root access to this little system!

Jon (who has also stopped wasting CPU cycles on john (was up to 42 hours by
that stage)