[Arm-netbook] Crooks at parcel force

Alejandro Mery amery at geeks.cl
Thu Feb 18 12:41:47 GMT 2010

On 18/02/10 13:28, Alain Williams wrote:
> I have just received a letter from them saying that VAT is payable on the laptop.
> OK, that doesn't worry me: 8 quid.
> But they also want ''parcelforce clearance fee'' of #13.50

Here in Spain it just passed, free of any extra fee or tax and not
even opened for review :-) I buy stuff from .cn and .hk at least
once per month and I have never been bothered by the custom. But
this is the first time I buy something that a normal customs officer
would consider a computer :-)

> I suppose that they know that they have me over a barrel and so feel that
> they can charge what they want - I am not in a position to complain.
>
> The stupid thing is that I will just claim the VAT straight back, so this is
> just an elaborate way for me giving parcel force a gift of #13.50.
>
> I know little about these things, is there a way of pre-paying the VAT so that
> next time we don't end up being fleeced ?

Nope, as this is 100% based on the whim of the officer that happened
to be there when your parcel arrived. Big couriers pre-charge you an
estimated fee. If the estimation is short they pay it and then
invoice you the difference, an extra for this special service and
the taxes corresponding to it. If the estimation is large, profit
for the courier.

Alejandro