[Arm-netbook] First impressions

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 17 12:11:54 GMT 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Jonathan Ervine <jon.ervine at gmail.com> wrote:
> Luke - I have mainboard pictures available here:
> ftp://files.phcomp.co.uk/files/arm-netbook/IMG_3142.jpg
> ftp://files.phcomp.co.uk/files/arm-netbook/IMG_3143.jpg
> ftp://files.phcomp.co.uk/files/arm-netbook/IMG_3145.jpg

 nice one - perfect.

 ok.

 * WM9716 is likely to be a touchscreen driver chip.  haven't
downloaded the datasheet but it's probably also the audio driver as
well: you can see some of the pins connected on it to the headphone
socket.

 * there are 14 pins on what i believed to be the HDMI connector:
that's definitely looking like it ain't even a micro HDMI.  i messed
up my eyes looking at the odroid's 11mm HDMI connector, but there are
definitely 19 pins on it, which does _not_ match up obviously with the
14 pins on this PCB.

 * GL850G is a 4-port low-power USB2/USB1.1 hub controller.  one set
of USB outputs clearly goes to the right hand PCI-e USB pins.

 * i can't tell if the PCI-e SIM connections required for huawei and
sierra wireless PCI-e 3G modems are connected.  they might be
connected through on the internal layer(s) of the PCB.  a multimeter's
going to be needed.

 * there's an unidentified (no markings) IC to the left of the
right-hand PCI-e slot.  or, if it's unidentified, it's because the
markings are too faint to make out using a camera.

 * the DM9000DEP is a 10/100 ethernet controller.

 * to the right of the DM9000DEP there is a space for what looks like
a WIFI or maybe even bluetooth jobbie: you can see the RF antenna
connector.  that'll be a custom SIP module of some description.  it
would be nice to have this because it would free up the left hand
PCI-e.

 really want to know what that unidentified IC is.