[Arm-netbook] First impressions

Jon Ervine jon.ervine at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 18:48:31 GMT 2010

On 16 Feb 2010, at 08:58, Jon Ervine wrote:

> I've had my armel netbook for a few days, though not had as much time to get to grips with it as I would have liked. Here are some of my observations and impressions so far:

> 3. I've unscrewed all the screws and haven't as yet been able to prise the case apart. I don't want to put too much force through it, and it seems there is some kind of join roughly at the  USB ports on one side and the SD card slot on the other side.

I have pictures uploaded to:

Removing the keyboard reveals three further screws to release the case. I removed my keyboard by looking along the top of the keyboard and finding 3 clips that could be prised under the keyboard thereby releasing the keyboard. These are marked in red.
http://uk.sisoe.com/~jonnye/linux/IMG_3135_marked.jpg

There is also a ZIF style keyboard connector. This is locked in place by means of two black sliding locks on either side of the ZIF connector. These are marked in red.
http://uk.sisoe.com/~jonnye/linux/IMG_3136_marked.jpg

With the keyboard out of the way there are three screws that need to be removed to allow the top part of the case to be removed. These are marked in red as well.
http://uk.sisoe.com/~jonnye/linux/IMG_3137_marked.jpg

The trackpad can also be removed via unlocking the socket in a similar fashion to the ZIF socket unlocking performed earlier.
http://uk.sisoe.com/~jonnye/linux/IMG_3139_marked.jpg

At this point we are getting close to being able to uncover our device's secrets. There are yet another 3 screws securing the motherboard to the casing. There was also some sellotape on mine securing the battery and speaker cables to the casing. Some really high tech materials in use here :-) With the 3 screws removed, the motherboard can be flipped over and inspected.
http://uk.sisoe.com/~jonnye/linux/IMG_3140.jpg

My camera ran out of power and the images are a little blurred at full zoom - I'll reshoot tomorrow with tripod for sharp pictures if that's of interest.
http://uk.sisoe.com/~jonnye/linux/IMG_3141_marked.jpg

It seems the ARM processor, RAM, and NAND is contained on the removable 'DIMM type' card in the centre of the mainboard. The HDMI lookalike port also seems to be connected to the board - yay! There also appears to be 4 holes near the processor card ... JTAG perhaps or serial maybe? Fingers crossed.

Jon

PS Tried sending pictures to the files mail address that Alain previously mentioned but have had no reply. I'm temporarily hosting the pictures on my own server but will look to move them (or reshoots) elsewhere as soon as possible.