[Arm-netbook] Original ChiTech kernel available as Debian package

Frans Pop elendil at planet.nl
Thu Apr 22 22:54:42 BST 2010

On Thursday 22 April 2010, Michael Howard wrote:
> 1. On completion of the kernel install, it reflashes 'our' kernel.

No, it doesn't. It flashes the ChiTech kernel (which overwrites our
kernel). It's impossible that installing the ChiTech kernel would flash
our kernel (simply because of the way things are scripted). The only way
that could happen is e.g. if "our" kernel was updated at the same time; in
that case both kernels could be flashed and the last one would win.

> 2. Manually flashing the chitech kernel results in the boot hanging
> immediately on restart with initial 'G3' graphic displayed.

It doesn't hang. It's waiting for input on VT1. As you cannot see anything
happening on VT1 because the ChiTech kernel does not support VT1, it only
appears to be hanging.

> 3. Using the 'firmware-upgrade' method to perform a rescue does not
> restore the status quo but leaves me with the thing hung on the initial
> 'G3' graphic. Unless of course the _rescue_ involes going through the
> complete debian install again?

I never said it would automagically restore anything. All the firmware
upgrade procedure does is allow you to *boot* with another kernel. Any
repair of changes will need to be done manually after that.

If you want to boot with "our" kernel, you need to copy the
vmlinuz-2.4.27.7-0-s3c file from "our" kernel .deb [1] to your SD card as
zImage_dt_update. I don't think you've done that.

If you do that correctly and *then* do a firmware upgrade boot, you should
get a normal login on VT1 and you can then flash a different kernel or do
anything else you like.

Personally I have "our" kernel flashed and use the firmware upgrade option
if I want to boot with the ChiTech kernel.

[1] Just copy the .deb from alioth and use 'dpkg -x' to unpack it on any
other system where you can write the SD card.