[Arm-netbook] Original ChiTech kernel available as Debian package

Michael Howard mike at dewberryfields.co.uk
Thu Apr 22 22:22:32 BST 2010

Frans Pop wrote:
> A few days ago I've uploaded the original ChiTech kernel as a Debian
> package so it can more easily be used with a Debian Lenny install.
> See below for some important notes about this package.
>
> The reason I decided to try the original kernel was that I have one
> extremely bad issue. When I play music the mouse pointer goes crazy. It
> will move randomly and create random clicks.
> Unfortunately the original kernel does not solve that issue: I see it both
> with "our" 2.6.24.7 kernel and the ChiTech 2.4.27.2 kernel. Does anybody
> else see this issue as well?
>
> IIUC the input devices and sound are provided by the same Wolfson Micro
> chip. My guess is that this chip is not properly supported, but if nobody
> else sees this issue it may also be a hardware problem.
>
> In general the ChiTech kernel should probably support the hardware a bit
> better than "our" kernel and it will not have some issues "our" kernel
> has, so using it my still be worthwhile. But you will lose the use of
> VT1-VT6!!!!!
>

> The name of the kernel package is linux-image-2.6.24.2-chitech_1_armel.deb
> and is available from the repository on alioth.
> The ChiTech kernel cannot be selected during a new installation using
> Debian Installer, but only installed afterwards.

As I couldn't get sound to work (apart from the hissing in the
headphones) I decided to try the chitech kernel.
So, having followed your notes about the filesystem, modules, rsyslog, I
have the following observations;

1. On completion of the kernel install, it reflashes 'our' kernel.

2. Manually flashing the chitech kernel results in the boot hanging
immediately on restart with initial 'G3' graphic displayed.

3. Using the 'firmware-upgrade' method to perform a rescue does not
restore the status quo but leaves me with the thing hung on the initial
'G3' graphic. Unless of course the _rescue_ involes going through the
complete debian install again?

Cheers,

--
Michael Howard        mike at dewberryfields dot co dot uk
Lancashire