[Arm-netbook] Cannot get wifi to work on CT-PC89E

JLB j at twu.net
Sun Apr 18 04:22:44 BST 2010

I've followed the instructions previously posted to this list to get
Debian onto my CT-PC89E. I then used Frans Pop's Xorg config file to get
X11 working, and installed Xfce.

Now I am trying to get wireless going. Either through a GUI utility
(wifi-radar) or through command-line tools (iwconfig, ifconfig), I can't
seem to get this thing working.

'ifconfig ra0 up' makes the machine sit there a few seconds, then returns
a prompt.... but when I go 'ifconfig', ra0 does not show up.

'iwconfig' outputs what I believe is nonsensical. Attempts to go 'iwconfig
ra0 essid MY_ESSID_GOES_HERE are fruitless; nothing happens. The output of
'iwconfig' never changes. I cannot scan for, or see, any APs.

Below is the iwconfig output in question:

ra0       Ralink STA  ESSID:""  Nickname:""
           Mode:Auto  Frequency=2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
           Bit Rate:1 Mb/s
           RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
           Encryption key:off
           Link Quality=10/100  Signal level:0 dBm  Noise level:-87 dBm

So... for those of you who have gotten this thing to work wirelessly, how
did you do it?