[Arm-netbook] SO-DIMM Upgrade Proposal: CT-PC89E with an 833mhz S5PC100 and 1gb of RAM - anyone interested?

JLB j at twu.net
Tue Apr 6 13:48:51 BST 2010

I'll pay $150 to get this upgrade.

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:
> Catching up ...
>
> On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 08:47:55PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Adam Gill <madallig at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Luke,
>> > Need clarification on this so-dimm. For USD 150.00 this includes all
>> > revisions?
>>
>>  not necessarily, but $150 times 15 equals $2250 - we juuust cover the
>> costs if there is only one revision (unlikely).  $150 times 20 equals
>> $3000, we'll be able to cover some more revisions for that.
>
> Count me in on $150 to support this.

  fantastic.  that makes 6 (out of such a small list that's damn good)
- oliver yes did you get the off-list message i replied when you send
off-list, yes it'll be 1gb DDR2 and 1ghz S5PC100.

  so we're up to $3730 already (i'm putting in $3000 not $2500).

i got answers from james: he says that there's a $1150 engineering
charge and a $300-$400 SMT setup cost.  the cost of each 1gb/1ghz
SO-DIMM stays around the $43 mark: it's the setup costs that push the
individual prices up depending on batch sizes.

> You did not include in your list a battery that can power it for a looong time.

  no, this first stage plan is to create an upgrade for the CT-PC89E,
replacing the SO-DIMM.  this is like the absolute critical first bit -
get this right and creating a bigger netbook, bigger battery, better
screen etc. etc. is a breeze by comparison.