[Arm-netbook] SO-DIMM Upgrade Proposal: CT-PC89E with an 833mhz S5PC100 and 1gb of RAM - anyone interested?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 2 21:47:55 BST 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Adam Gill <madallig at gmail.com> wrote:
> Luke,
> Need clarification on this so-dimm. For USD 150.00 this includes all
> revisions?

 not necessarily, but $150 times 15 equals $2250 - we juuust cover the
costs if there is only one revision (unlikely).  $150 times 20 equals
$3000, we'll be able to cover some more revisions for that.

 basically we'll do one and one only at a time, first of all, and
experiment in 1s or 2s.

> ..until we get the all the fine tuning done? .. or will
> additional funding be required until we have a final so-dimm?

 we'll just have to see.

> How many are in?

 surprisingly: 4 excluding me and you.   $150, $150, $180 (and one
wavering/conditional $100).

> If many are in - then the price goes down?

 yes, that's one option - _if_ we get it right first time (unlikely,
but always a possibility)  basically, if we get it right first time,
then... well, it would be _nice_ for me to get some of the $3,000 back
early :)

> If there are
> others that want a new CT-PC89E/Seatron type netbook - maybe they would also
> want to have the new so-dimm ...
>
> For the new so-dimm what I think we need is:
> 1. 1GHz processor

 yep.

> 2. 512MB RAM

 i want the first batch to be 1gb, option of 512mb.  it's an extra $5
or so - it reaallly isn't going to break the bank.  1gb RAM, 1gb NAND,
1ghz S5PC100 james says he can do for $43, quantity 20.  and that's
slightly more money because he has to hand-solder them :)

> 3. Micro SD card slot for the hard drive - which means it is possible to
> always upgrade memory to the highest available

 yep.

> 4. Nand flash can be included on the so-dimm if there is space

 yep.

> - but i
> cannot see the point of having this if we are going to have a micro-sd slot

 it's faster, and it's also future-proofing: for mass-production, NAND
is cheaper than a micro-sd slot.  $0.50 less will make all the
difference.  so, thinking ahead, if you're going to do the work, throw
it in...

> 5. Pinouts or switch for emergency recovery

 yep.  serial port, JTAG etc.

> You mentioned that there is space to make the so-dimm a little longer as
> there is a bit of space inside the case which can be utilized

 longer, no - wider, mayyyyybe.  it's about 3-4 mm that isn't being
used, but we really need one of the Si-Chang 7in MIDs to double-check.
 to be on safe side, it's probably best to stick to 35mm ( by 67mm ).

> We have to make sure that non-Chitech type CT-PC89E's share the same
> motherboard or what the differences are ...

 i am not anticipating / i would be incredibly surprised if there is
any difference.