[Arm-netbook] SO-DIMM Upgrade Proposal: CT-PC89E with an 833mhz S5PC100 and 1gb of RAM - anyone interested?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 2 15:57:24 BST 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Joakim Seeberg <kontakt at seebergit.dk> wrote:
> I will donate USD $150 to the project. Specs looks fine to me.
>
> - Joakim

 joakim, thank you - that's absolutely great.  i've been speaking with
james over the past couple of days.  he says that:

* if we get 20 samples done, it is way too small to do an SMT run, so
he will use an iron bed to solder the components by hand, himself

* the cost of each SO-DIMM he estimates to be about $43 (even at
sample pricing for the components)

* there is a one-off setup charge of $1150 or so for a PCB
manufacturer to create the tooling for the PCB

* there is one other cost that he's going to look up and find out about.

what's behind this is that i've been talking to james and the people
he's working for some months, they are designing a PDA using the exact
same components.  james will do the PDA first, get that done; i will
be helping him to get the linux kernel running on it; then we will
have a tried-and-tested PCB, convert it to an SO-DIMM by removing
everything we don't need, and the linux kernel will be done, already,
ready to merge with the CT-PC89E design.

 it's not _quite_ going to be that simple, because i have to get all
the pinouts - many thanks to ben dooks for advising me on how the
DM9000 works, i will look for the RESET, SELECT and nWAIT lines next,
that will be another 1.5% of the job done :)