[Arm-netbook] Allwinner outsells Intel

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Thu May 9 19:29:18 BST 2013

> You are going somewhere I do not wish to follow - HPC - its a completely
> different subject.
>
> Lots of IO port pins are available, and first target for me at least
> is simple low cost assembly of images in a conveyor to replace
> proprietary graphics cards. So if product has to play video and do some
> simple game like functions, then copy and paste two CPUs, interconnect
> some IO pins to compose images and transfer images between CPUs to
> destination CPU that has the LCD. At $20 per A10 chip + 1GB RAM +
> components, no one batter an eye lid if the solution works.

DO it. Show me a Kicad file. You still need to move all that image
data to a display. That actually starts to look like a HPC problem.
(I started https://bitbucket.org/dahozer/infiniband-fpga, for HPC,
but it might work for collecting all those images in the way you
are talking about above)

> > ...and even THEN it  will be highly different from "just a multi-core
> > processor", it will probably look like several independent nodes with at best
> > shared access to a RAM area, and this will help you only in specialized
> > computing tasks specifically programmed for it (or via some more standard HPC
> > layer like OpenMPI).
> >
> > Not as simple as copypasting some KiCAD around.
>
> As I say wait and see.
> As the copy/paste experimentation begins, new techniques will evolve.
> KiCAD for example is all text based, so in theory it is possible
> to write a script where you enter number n of CPUs, and out pops
> a fully formed text file with n CPUs fully wired up!!!!!!!!! :)
> There are already scripts available for various features and
> functions already. Its again a case of wait and see, or even
> participate and do!

**TRY** it, and let me know when you've got some kicad files that
pass https://www.my4pcb.com/net35/FreeDFMNet/FreeDFMHome.aspx and
I might even pay to have them fabricated.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

When I can do something like Topological routing automatically
( http://www.toporouter.com/ ) with KiCad, then it might, indeed,
be almost as simple as 'cut&paste'.