[Arm-netbook] A10 server dreamboard

Tsvetan Usunov, OLIMEX LTD usunov at olimex.com
Wed May 30 12:13:24 BST 2012

>> 2GB is the maximum, but no A10 products have been built with 2GB so it's
>> unknown if it works well, and questionable if it's worthwhile on an A10.
>
>IIRC there is a problem with the SoC that makes 2GB not work. Somebody
>said they'd asked Allwinner for confirmation but I haven't seen a
>follow-up on the issue yet.

What Allwinner reply I understand this way: it may be possible, but it's so
expensive so there is no interest from their volume customers and they do
not bother to implement as reference schematic/design.

To implement 2GB with 4 chips x8 bit organization 4Gbit DDR3 memory chips
should be used which are not so popular and the price probably is out of the
mass marget targets i.e. to implement 2GB may be x5 times expensiver than to
have 1GB thus no volume manufacturer interest