[Arm-netbook] A10 server dreamboard

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Wed May 30 12:03:14 BST 2012

ons 2012-05-30 klockan 10:38 +0100 skrev Gordan Bobic:
> When you say it doesn't support it, do you mean it won't work at all, or
> do you mean it doesn't support FIS switching (and thus the performance
> will degrade as you plug in more disks into the multiplier)?

The driver says not supported. Have no hardware documentation on the
sata so can't say if it's a driver or hardware limitation.

> > For server usage HDMI is not neccesary, but as many USB you can fit is
> > absolutely needed (i.e. OTG + 2xHOST). And if it also has HDMI then same
> > device can be a multi-purpose device which is a big win.
>
> For a standalong server *TX board, I agree. Not the case for blades, though.

Blades usage is a bit different in all aspects.

>  From what's been said 1GB is the maximum, and at 512MB you rapidly lose
> the ability to have a product that distinguishes itself from the crowd.

2GB is the maximum, but no A10 products have been built with 2GB so it's
unknown if it works well, and questionable if it's worthwhile on an A10.

> > Reasonably small board. And which can fit into standard available casing
> > I think. I.e. like the VIA APC 8750.
>
> If you want to go for tiny size, look at the CuBox's format.

Personally more interested in having I/O capabilities than tiny.

Regards
Henrik