[Arm-netbook] A10 server dreamboard

Enrico ebutera at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 29 16:06:02 BST 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:

>>> Why not do away with flash completely and put a uSD slot on instead of
>>> the flash?
>>
>> SD-card have mechanical movable parts, it'r reliability may decrease with
>> time due to moisture, dust etc. having 4GB NAND flash on board will be much
>> more reliable than SD card on socket
>
> That's debatable. The chances are that those that want to use it will
> plug in an uSD card and leave it there. In that state I wouldn't imagine
> reliability would be negatively impacted. I've never actually seen a uSD
> slot fail, and I have had a lot of devices with such slots for a number
> of years.
>
> Plus if you do use it heavily, flash wears out - at least uSD card is
> replaceable.

A nand flash easily outperforms a good uSD, especially on random
access. It will have only the rootfs so wearing will not be a problem.

>>> What's wrong with serial console/JTAG combo over micro/mini USB a-la
>>> SheevaPlug? That replaces both the need for video out and separate
>>> serial and JTAG.
>>
>> this is simple and nice solution

Nothing wrong, i just didn't know!

>>> If you are going for density, then you might as well go to the logical
>>> conclusion with EOMA "blades" and cram 40 or so into 1U. And that will
>>> still leave you plenty of space for an internal ethernet switch,
>>> internal serial switch (for console access), some 2.5" SATA bays (maybe
>>> with a "NAS node"), maybe even an internal UPS.
>>
>> but how then the USB will be bring on from of the rack in this case?
>> extension cables?
>
> Not at all. You don't need USB to come out of the chassis. You
> ssh/telnet to the serial console switch, (a-la Lantronix) and from there
> connect to whichever node's console you want.

While i think that maybe you don't need to have all the usb come out
of the chassis, maybe some sort of predisposition for some (2?)
extension cables could be useful. This is something to think more
about it.

Enrico