[Arm-netbook] 75USD A10 android USB key

krasi gichev krasimirr at gmail.com
Tue May 29 06:51:20 BST 2012

Yep, with some difference - Olimex will make A13 board, so no HDMI, no
SATA, no CAN. Later boards (with A10) will probably add these, but this is
somewhere in the future. And the only way to keep both solutions (Olimex
A13 and Olimex A10) on the market is if they set price tag for A10
significantly higher, probably 20 euros more. If A13 is selected because
they can manage to produce it faster, than its fine, but at the end A13
will become obsolete when (if) A10 comes.
In discussion here about Olimex, I already tried to point that skipping A13
and going directly to A10 is better solution - simply because additional $2
for the A10 and some more for the PCB will be compensated by having native
HDMI and SATA (and CAN, but this is not so important for generic users).
You know the troubles that Tsvetan had with HDMI transmitters for A13 -
this could be avoided if they used directly the A10. A13 is designed to go
into products that will have no SATA and no HDMI, so trying to make A13
board with HDMI and/or SATA is wrong from price point.
I suppose that they (Olimex) have other limitations that force them to use
the A13 design. I think that it makes no sense to have copy of Olimex A13
product - this thread is about different product, PCB, that can be used in
slightly different applications that the Olimex one. And being able to
cover wider range of applications and marketing strategies.

Best regards,