[Arm-netbook] wits-tech EVB schematics

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon May 28 04:39:37 BST 2012

(bcc'ing eva of allwinner)

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 1:16 AM, Henrik Nordström
<henrik at henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> mån 2012-05-28 klockan 00:30 +0800 skrev Tom Cubie:
>

>> i don't think allwinner will do that. They just want to avoid
>> responsibilities by not releasing the
>> source code. And even releasing is not officially and publicly, it's
>> "leaked".
>
> "leaked" is the wrong word. Some other stuff in there was leaked but not
> the A10 kernel sources. Those were released as per license requirements.
>
> What is troublesome is that most of the allwinner source files are
> missing the GPL license header and instead have Allwinner/Softwinner/...
> restricted copyright "All rights reserved" or no copyright at all.
> Without a clear official statement we have to assume these sources are
> not licensed for use in the GPL licensed Linux kernel and that the
> resulting combined work from building the kernel may be in violation of
> the GPL and not licensed for redistribution in any form.

 and, worse than that, each and every person in the distribution chain
- including millions of end-users - must, strictly speaking - ask
PERMISSION of AllwinnerTech even before using the device!  why?
because there is no license, and as henrik points out "All rights
reserved" means "you cannot do anything without our permission".

 so, not only the OEMs, the factories, the warehouses, the sales
people, but also the end-users, ALL OF THEM - millions of people -
MUST phone up Allwinner Tech and say "please can i sell this device,
please can i switch on this device, please can i play this game,
please can i watch this video, please can i lend it to my friend,
please can my daughter use it".

 this is clearly an insane situation that Allwinner Tech *MUST*
resolve, and it can be done very very simply with a simple
announcement stating what the license is on the code.