[Arm-netbook] BBC article on VIA & A10 stick impact on raspi

Mag Crap magcrap at gmail.com
Sun May 27 00:10:16 BST 2012

Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote in news:4FC14B25.1080203
@bobich.net:

> On 05/26/2012 10:15 PM, Mag Crap wrote:
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18163419
>
> "The Raspberry Pi - which is advertised for $25 - remains the cheapest
> option."
>
> $25? Really? Last I checked it was £35 - with a 3+ month waiting list.
>
> Gordan

come on now ... for the higher spec (B) model GBP 21.60 +VAT and Delivery
(which probably equates to circa USD 35)  .. the model A (sans ethernet i
think but the same 256MB RAM is supposed to be less at USD 25 + VAT and
delivery)

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=raspberrypi

and i'm sure (as i would expect) as is convention the OLIMEX A10
estimated price is net of VAT and delivery to give you an example.

remember though for schools, colleges, universities etc they will either
not have to pay VAT or can recover it and if they buy a few at once (as
they are likely to do) the delivery charge will be negligable so they
will indeed get then for virtually 35 USD a pop ..

yep 3 months waiting list ... demand/screw up on their part as i said and
RS/Element 14 have not covered themselves in glory either ..

its not a product for me however as it isn't that much better than my
plugs for what i need (im not bothered about video or FPU for
transcoding) but its a great product for the price for its target market
I.M.H.O. and apparently 3 months worth of backordered punters as well ;-)

rgds

ian