[Arm-netbook] OLIMEX A10 board

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri May 25 22:38:25 BST 2012

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Tsvetan Usunov - OLIMEX Ltd
<usunov at olimex.com> wrote:

>> sounds very interesting ... i think a good number of people are interested
>> in a cheap A10 board thats open enough to allow the general community to
>> easily support and develop it ... be good if you could stretch it to 1GB RAM
>> and clock it towards 1.5GHZ.
>>
>> i know theres been a good deal of heat on this subject but personally I
>> dont have an issue if people want to earn money from patents on "open"
>> projects, though more generally patents nowadays are often used as a barrier
>> to entry to stifle competition and innovation.
>>
>> .... for me its the final price, product functionality (and to a lesser
>> extent the degree of openess for community support and development) thats
>> important but i think for a lot of people a plain and simple "all in one
>> board" you propose sounds very interesting.
>>
>> can i ask if you plan to include ethernet on it (i'm slowly eliminating
>> wifi devices from my flat to depollute the airspace :-)
>>

> the preliminary specs we work on are:
>
> A10 / AXP209
> 512MB DDR3
> USB host x2
> USB OTG
> HDMI / VGA / Composite video
> Ethernet
> Sata
> +(optional WIFI)
> +(optional NAND 4GB)
> JTAG / GPIOs / UARTs / SPIs / I2Cs / CAMERA / LCD / on 0.1" connectors
>
> still didn't decided if we will add possibility board to work on LiPo 3.7V
> battery as this require adding step-up for USB hosts
>
> (optional) means we will layout it but may not populate these to lower the
> price
>
> we work on both A13 and A10 schematics in parallel but A13 will be routed
> easier and I expect to have first A13 prototypes in June, the A10 prototypes
> probably in August
>
> overclocking to 1.5GHz should be possible by the hardware but I don't know
> how useful it will be for serious applications
>
> we target the price of A10-OLinuXino to be in EUR 50-60 range
>
> the project will be open source both hardware and software like
> iMX233-OLinuXino and all files will be on GitHub under CC-BY-SA 3.0 licensee
> for the hardware and GPL for the software.

 that will be fantastic.  it will be possible then to take those files
and create an EOMA-68 CPU Card from them as an open project, and this
will be very very easy to do because it will be a cut-down version of
what you're planning.

 do you have the EVB schematics from wits-tech already?