[Arm-netbook] policy for wiki and mailing list

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Tue May 22 19:42:52 BST 2012

Simon Kenyon <simon at koala.ie> writes:

> On 05/22/12 10:12, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 06:19:06PM +0100, Simon Kenyon wrote:
>>
>>> and for the record, i don't think my question and the hopefully ensuing
>>> debate belongs in the wiki. but i put it on the discussion area of the
>>> root page.
>>>
>>> and could be please move to mediawiki?
>>
>> What for (specific issues / features, please)?
>>
>> BTW: is there a way to clone the wiki?
>>

> the wiki being used appears to be less functional that mediawiki

Appears, perhaps -- ikiwiki is certainly different, and the feature sets
differ.  Also there are many features that are not currently enabled.

For instance, it's possible to have it interpret pages as mediawiki
markup, but doing so would result in a mishmash of markup depending on
the preferences of the person creating the page.

Speaking of which:

> markup does not work in the discussion pages

what's actually happened here is that the creator of the page selected
HTML rather than markdown as the page format -- one weakness of ikiwiki
is that once created such a page needs intervention from someone with
git access, which I've now done, so thanks for the pointer.

BTW whoever was asking about suni4.h on that page -- I've answered your
question.  http://rhombus-tech.net/index/discussion/

> markup is different

Yup.  It's called markdown.  There is a link in the edit page that runs
through the main bits of markdown, but you can generally put HTML in as
well if you need to do anything fancy.

> i could go on.

Please do, at least we get to fix any issues that way.

One point that is perhaps important for a project like this when
comparing ikiwiki to mediawiki is that ikiwiki is a wiki compiler, so it
renders the markup to static HTML pages -- this means that the resulting
site can be served efficiently making it much more resistant to being
slashdotted.  It would be a shame for a database backed wiki to collapse
under the load the instant it got wider attention.

Cheers, Phil.