[Arm-netbook] Power Figures (Armada vs Atom)

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dave at treblig.org
Sun May 20 18:53:27 BST 2012

* Gordan Bobic (gordan at bobich.net) wrote:
> For entertainment purposes, I thought I'd share.
>
> PoE with PoE->12VDC splitter, idle in both cases:
>
> Advancetech Atom N450 uATX board: 18.6W
> (occassionally trips the 30W class 3 PoE limit during POST)
>
> Compulab SBC-A510, Marvell Armada 510: 9.2W
>
> No contest. Granted, 9.2W is still a lot (SheevaPlug draws about 7W from
> AC flat out), but it's still a hell of a lot better than 18.6.

That's a good number for idle; have you tried using something like
powertop to tune them?

How about doign the same comparison when doing some comparable work
 (both say playing audio/video from approximately the same source
and at same res)?

Dave
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /