[Arm-netbook] Trouble booting kernel on A1000, amery config settings

Barry Kauler bkauler at gmail.com
Sun May 20 04:45:38 BST 2012

Firstly, a small note: the "Hacking the Mele A1000" page has an
incorrect statement, that the picture showing the gnd-rx-tx pins for
the uart are wrong. Actually, the picture is correct, and I have added
a correction note to the page:

http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/hacking_the_mele_a1000/

I have compiled amery's lastest 3.0.31 kernel, and it went through ok.
But, had some issues:

There was a typo in scripts/build_sun4i.sh, the line starting
"LICHEE_MOD_DIR==" has a double-equal characters, should be only one
equal char.

Also, I don't have the 'mkbootimg' so commented that out -- perhaps
the script should test for it's existence.

It then goes through ok. Except the last compile:

#build usi-bmc4329 sdio wifi module
	make -C modules/wifi/usi-bcm4329/v4.218.248.15/open-src/src/dhd/linux \
			CROSS_COMPILE=${CROSS_COMPILE} ARCH=arm LINUXVER=${KERNEL_VERSION} \
			LICHEE_MOD_DIR=${LICHEE_MOD_DIR} LINUXDIR=${LICHEE_KDIR}
CONFIG_CHIP_ID=${CONFIG_CHIP_ID} \
			INSTALL_DIR=${LICHEE_MOD_DIR} dhd-cdc-sdmmc-gpl

...fails.

Now for my problem. The kernel will not boot. I get uart output coming
to my 'microcom' program, up to:

reading uImage

...and that's it, nothing else happens.

Oh well. Actually, all I want to be able to do is update my Puppy
Linux SD card image with latest kernel and modules, so if anyone else
compiles it (and it boots ok on Mele A1000), it would be great if you
put the kernel and modules into a tarball and upload it somewhere for
me to download.

Oh yes, one request. Amery's default config has Squashfs filesystem
not enabled. Enabled as a module or builtin would be great. It has
some options, that should also be enabled, but I think there is one
option for "memory constrained systems" that I don't think needs to be
enabled.

Um, while I am on this topic, amery's default .config does have some
other things turned off, that I think should be enabled for all kernel
builds:

input: mice: enable other ps/2 options,
alsa: turn on: sequencer, oss mixer, oss pcm, oss sequencer api (as modules),
usb support: turn on: usb modem, usb printer, usb serial converter
(generic driver at least) (as modules),
filesystems: reiserfs, squashfs (builtin or modules)

Regards,
Barry Kauler