[Arm-netbook] RAM, uboot

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue May 8 22:55:10 BST 2012

On 08/05/12 22:20, Mike Thompson wrote:
[...]
> I would be very interested in your kernel.conf file and a link to the
> specific kernel sources you are using.  I hope to create a headless
> system running Debian Wheezy armhf ASAP.  A functioning kernel would
> be a terrific head start.

Okay, the kernel.conf is attached. It's built against the git tree at
https://github.com/amery/linux-allwinner, using branch
'allwinner-v3.0-android'. It's 3.0.28 (currently). Most of the core
drivers are built into the kernel rather than using modules.

Issues I've noticed:

- tickless kernel doesn't work. (If you turn it on, the system will hang
randomly.)

- the wifi driver will only build as a module due to link errors.

- most of the allwinner-specific drivers have mangled kernel
configurations, which means that turning them on and off is frustrating
(as the config tool can't enforce a valid configuration and the build
fails if it's not set up right). I have most of them turned off. It's
not as if vibrator support's going to do much for me.

- ethernet works but the MAC address isn't initialised properly, so
you'll have to take the lid off, read the MAC address off the label on
the ethernet socket, and do something like this in your
/etc/network/interfaces:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
    pre-up ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:01:02:03:04:05

- Kernel tracing gets emitted twice. I haven't figured out why yet.

- This is using the default evb.bin. I haven't tried changing it.

Incidentally, debootstrap seems to be buggered at the moment: I tried
several times to make it generate a working Debian unstable root
filesystem, and didn't succeed (invalid /var/lib/dpkg/status, incorrect
package sets, etc). My current system is based of the minimal Debian
root file system linked to on the images page of the wiki.

│
│ "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by
│ stupidity." --- Nick Diamos (Hanlon's Razor)