[Arm-netbook] Selecting the right Soc for out ARM Notebook project.

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Sun May 6 01:41:11 BST 2012

On 05/05/2012 03:51 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On the subject of kernel support and GPL - if this is the key
> requirement (and let's face it, it is, without that everything else
> falls apart), then there is reasoning in using something like a Marvell
> Kirkwood + Volari combo.
>
> Yes, the TDP would suck. SheevaPlug draws about 7W (at full load with
> gigabit ethernet working) from the plug, which is more than the AC100,
> and the AC100 figure includes the screen. The performance isn't cutting
> edge, but it is actually good enough for most things. Kirkwood is in the
> OLPC 1.75 model, IIRC (or was that the Armada?).
>
> Anyway, you are looking at probably around 7W for the CPU+RAM, +2W for
> the Volari GPU, + 3W for the TFT panel. That's 12W. It is still very
> much in the workable passively range, and certainly less than an Atom
> laptop. Kirkwood has been fully supported in the mainline kernel for
> years, and Volari has a GPL driver, IIRC.
>
> So for the most option _right now_, that seems like the way forward.
>
> In the future there will be newer, better options (a year or so until
> there is a full featured production stable MALI driver, these things
> take time to stabilize), but right now, this might be a sane option.
>
> To put some numbers on it, core-for-core and clock-for-clock, Cortex A9
> is about 2x faster than Kirkwood on compile jobs, as measured on a
> SheevaPlug (1.2GHz Kirkwood) vs. an AC100 (1.0GHz Cortex A9). But
> Kirkwood is, apparently, also available at 2GHz which might bridge the
> gap somewhat. The big problem with Kirkwood is that it is getting quite
> old and it's power management features leave much to be desired (no
> voltage/clock stepping).
>
> Hard to match for openness and mainline kernel support, though. Shame
> that Ubuntu are dropping armv5tel support, but that only matters if you
> plan to run Ubuntu on it - and who would want to do that. ;)

http://www.marvell.com/embedded-processors/armada-xp/

How about the ARMADA XP  MV78460  quad core 1.6GHz CPU with PCIe or the
dual or single core version?

Volari or AMD GPU could be attached over PCIe

Whats the story on Linux support? I've lost track of Marvell after they
declined to trade money for the Armada 1500's.
http://www.marvell.com/digital-entertainment/armada-1500/

-Bari