[Arm-netbook] Selecting the right Soc for out ARM Notebook

moo cow magcrap at gmail.com
Sat May 5 21:16:28 BST 2012

Hi,

If it helps :

Originally I was looking at a nifty little $40 imx53 board genesi was
bringing out mid-year 2011 .. but they pulled it towards the end of last
year I’m guessing because both of the rapid pace of SOC developments and
the smell in the wind of things such as the raspi :

But  it’s interesting to note the price differential between their product
lines then (and still now as they are supposedly releasing soon iMX6 based
updates)
Smarttop -    USD 129
Netbook -     USD 199

As I say from recollection it is basically the same board inside both so
the delta (without considering closeouts, discounts, loss leading etc)
presumably reflects  in some way the  incremental cost (for small number of
sales) of the netbook (10.1” 1024x600, no HD  and the usual netbook stuff)

https://www.genesi-usa.com/store/
looking on "retail" sites in the uk (eg play.com, scan.co.uk) a 60GB 2.5
SATA drive runs a little over GBP20 which (after knocking off commercial
discounts is not a huge incremental amount)

rgds

ian