[Arm-netbook] Selecting the right Soc for out ARM Notebook project.

krasi gichev krasimirr at gmail.com
Sat May 5 06:58:01 BST 2012

Why don't you check out some other SoCs from this market? Like
Rockchip RK3066 - it is dual core A9, higher clock, and better GPU. At
the end, A10 is single core, 1GHz - as you say 13" display, this
probably will be 1366 x 768 resolution. It will put a lot of load on
the GPU too. Multicore (4x) in RK30xx will be better suited to this
task. As far as I remember, it must be around $15 USD.

About availability - I think that "for mass production" you can get
any chip you like. But it will be hard to obtain some chips if you
want to take 10 or 50 pcs only.

Going up in the price range, you can check the OMAPs from TI -
OMAP4430/4460 are pretty powerful chips, perfect open source support,
used in several consumer products already using it (Archos, Kindle,
PandaBoard, etc.). Good think about it is that it comes in
Package-on-package variant where DRAM is "glued" on top of the CPU and
you get them both in one package. Older OMAP3530 also had PoP variant,
and it was even designed with greater pitch between balls of the
package so it was easy to make pcb with it. But this new one are
targeted as ultra mobile devices and the goal of TI was to make the
chip as tiny as possible.

Samsung and TI doesn't have Ethernet MAC inside. But it is in the
range of 1-2 USD to get RTL8150 for example - it is USB Ethernet chip,
and it contains a PHY inside. For Allwinner (and all other that have
inbuilt MAC) you still have to add external PHY. Of course, you can
expect better performance from inbuilt Ethernet, but for this type of
CPU it does not matter too much. Also, in case of netbook, you will
almost surely want to include USB hub too - the Allwinner has 1 USB
host and 1 OTG controller, so totally you get maximum of 2 USB hosts.
If you place WiFi module over USB (like all current tablets with this
chip), you end up with only one USB HOST port... If you decide to
include USB HUB chip, that you can get a combo - USB HUB + USB
Ethernet (SMSC has some).

Freescale iMX53 is highly integrated too - it has Ethernet. But it is
still not well supported for Android ICS, and the chip itself is
limited to 1GHz (and is single core). GPU is probably not so powerful
too, but it supports dual output very well. Linux (Ubuntu) runs very
fine with this chip too.
Newer iMX6 are tempting but too early to know much about them. I know
that they offer pin-compatilble single, dual and quad core variants. I
think I read somewhere that GPU was Vivante like in older Rockchips.