[Arm-netbook] Mele/A10 Kernel

Paul Kench paulkench at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 1 11:55:50 BST 2012

Hello,

Since I have had my basic CLI Mele running debian wheezy I have been
attempting to build kernels with varying degrees of failure.

I have mainly been using amery's repo on github, trying the 3.0 kernel and
the 3.3.

I managed to natively compile a debian package of the 3.3 kernel (using the
deb-pkg target), but it panics on boot. I got various compile errors with
the 3.0 trees.

As I like to make my life more complicated I am using the debian armhf port
and the deb-pkg target spits out armel packages, although my reading around
the subject (debian-arm) suggests that the binary should be OK as there is
no such thing as an armhf kernel, the differences are all user space. (So I
used a dpkg -force-architecture)

In a nutshell I suppose I am asking for the following advice:

Which is the best repo/kernel version to use? Once I have a working base
kernel (or a config that should work), I am willing (and probably able) to
work on getting what's currently missing working.

Will compiling natively work? Are there any issues that I should be aware
of?

Is there a known good kernel config?

Is there an aim people have? My short to medium aim would be a Wheezy kernel
(I think that will be 3.2). So initially a patch against the debian sources.
Is there a more appropriate/easier goal (AOSP?).

Anyone know the options (either using deb-pkg target or make-kpkg) to
compile a package that thinks it is armhf? (Possibly a question for
debian-arm.)

I  propose compiling (no pun intended) the responses into a wiki page with a
table of features against kernels. And probably some links to config files
that work etc.

Regards

Paul